Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Going out on Top

News reports are saying that New York Football Giants Defensive End Michael Strahan is set to announce his retirement.  In case you were wondering, this is a big deal.  During my time as a Giants fan, there has been a continuous torch bearer on the Giants defense.  When I was younger, it was Lawrence Taylor (if you are reading this and you don't know who Lawrence Taylor is, stop reading and educate yourself... I'm serious, stop reading this and return to the blog as soon as you've had the opportunity to properly appreciate the awesomeness that is Lawrence Taylor the football player).  LT retired in the early 90's, and was quickly supplanted by new stud, Michael Strahan.

For 15 years Strahan has been setting the standard for the DE position.  Not the strongest, or the fastest, but a lethal combination of both, Strahan was the benchmark against which all other DE's were measured.  Was Strahan as dominant as LT?  No.  But through his work ethic, athletic ability and intelligence, he consistently ranked as the one of the most effective defensive players of his generation.

I've never been the Canton, OH, but I might just make the trip in 5 years.

5 comments:

Kat said...

So who will the new torch bearer be?

Rob said...

In the short term, Antonio Pierce. But long term I put my money on Justin Tuck.

DrMark said...

I'm going to miss Strahan for his demure personality.

Unknown said...

Rob, what about Osi Umenyiora? I'm not a NYG fan, but he seems to be on of the best in the NFC East.

Rob said...

Osi is good, but I like Tuck a little bit more. He pass rushes and plays the run well. Osi is the better pass rusher, but to be stud you need to do both. Pierce is all smarts and effort and he is the backbone of the defense. You could see him taking over the leadership of the defense throughout the postseason.