Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Eyes Have It

I thought a pun in the title was appropriate since I'm blogging about Rob. This morning Rob had Lasik eye surgery. I have been freaking out about it, as is my nature, but I'm very excited for Rob to be glasses-free. Everything seemed to go well. We arrived at the doctor's office out in the suburbs around 10am for a 10:30am appointment. Around 11am they took him in for the surgery and they'd previously told us he'd be done about 12:15pm, so I drove over to a nearby bookstore to pick up some London guidebooks (we hit London for three days before we go to Portugal). (Valerie, I also picked up The History of Love on your recommendation.) I didn't want to sit in the waiting room because I knew I'd, well, continue freaking out.

I arrived back at the doctor's office at 11:45am and immediately felt like the worst wife on the planet because Rob was sitting, all finished, in the waiting room with dark sunglasses on. My husband had surgery (okay, eight-minute surgery) and I wasn't there when he was done!!! Pathetic! And totally true to character because I am constantly late... so of course when I arrive a half hour early that turns out to be late as well. Rob was in good spirits, though, and actually felt badly that I'd felt badly as he didn't know it'd be so quick and he'd told me to go to the store for a little while. Aw.

I led Rob out to the car, as you're not allowed to open your eyes for four hours after the procedure. We had to put one kind of eye drops in right away before we hit the road. I don't really understand why they don't do that in the doctor's office, but since you do these eye drops every 30-60 minutes for the first few hours, maybe they're trying to make sure you don't have to pull over for more drops whiledriving.

Anyway, Rob said the procedure was very efficient and he didn't feel a thing, which is both creepy and amazing. The doctor gave him Tylenol PM so he could sleep for a few hours once we got home, but right now I think Rob's tossing and turning a bit upstairs. He's not really a sleep-during-the-day person. He has to wear an eye shield for sleeping and showering for the next several days, which is pretty crazy looking. So of course I took pictures. I'll download them soon.

In the mean time I'm just relieved the procedure is over and that everything seems okay (knock on wood). It's also a little funny that Rob's going to be glasses-free for the first time in two decades while I'm about to the point of needing glasses regularly for the first time in my life. Just adds to my nerdy disposition, I suppose.


emcarmany said...

Congrats on the new eyes, Rob! I had the Lasik eye surgery as well and thought I would offer you this tip: don't try to tape on those eye shields for when you sleep. I woke up to find that I could not rip the tape off my skin without taking some of my skin with it, and the last thing you want to be doing with tender eyes is crying from the pain. :) Erin

Valerie said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well.